Thursday, August 2, 2012

RPi-Update

I was reading about the release of Chromium for the Raspberry Pi and read a comment about changing the memory split using rpi-update. I decided to see what it was all about.




RPi-Update makes it much easier to change the memory split and keeping the firmware up to date rather than doing it manually. You can find it here

https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/

Here is how I ended up getting it to install without the errors I got. This is based on the Debian Squeeze release from 06-19-2012. I haven't switched to Wheezy yet.

sudo apt-get install ca-certificates


sudo apt-get install git-core


sudo wget http://goo.gl/1BOfJ -O /usr/bin/rpi-update && chmod +x /usr/bin/rpi-update


sudo ldupdate


sudo rpi-update

If you get a error about the library then (I can't remember the exact message)

rm /boot/.firmware_revision


sudo reboot 


sudo rpi-update

Then you can set the memory split. I used

sudo rpi-update 224 

since I am not using the GUI.

No comments:

Post a Comment