Friday, December 21, 2012

Disassembly of an 8 Pin Connector

For a new upcoming project I bought an 8-Pin Mini Din connector from Fry's Electronics and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to take it part. They really should sell it to you separated so that you don't have to disassemble it yourself, possibly damaging the connector. Now that I figured it out, I thought it would be a good idea to to share it since I couldn't find any other sites. Unfortunately, their site doesn't list it, so I couldn't find the part to link to.

The 8-din packaging with the other parts for the project


At first examine of the part there doesn't seem an easy way to take it apart without damaging it. Upon closer inspection it looked like it was pressure fit. With the below process I was able to disassemble it.



Grip the outer jacket with one hand using your fingers to put downward pressure
Then using tweezers, you can pull the inner connector out by using the notch

Continue pushing out

Inner connector removed from jacket

Once apart you can easily pull the rest out

This only works a few times because the plastic will break. So make sure you test it before you close it up. Let me know if this helps!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I tried this three times because I damaged the first two. For the third time, I bought a high quality connector and followed your instructions. Well, third time's the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I was looking at my connector for 20 minutes and was about to break it. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I think I've damaged my connector... If I had read this before...

    ReplyDelete