|The board with solder paste, awaiting parts.|
After re-flowing I had quite a few solder bridges. Most of them weren't too bad to fix but the CPULD was. For some reason on the last side, the solder didn't want to flow to the wick so I ended up loosing a pin and lifting two traces. Good thing I ordered two CPULDs. Using the hot air gun, I completely removed it and re-soldered it with drag soldering. I then used two thin wires to fix the traces. If I did it again I would either get a stencil and also use version 2, or just use drag soldering in the first place. I also have to thank DP for the drag soldering tip I won from them last year.
|All of the parts, ready to go!|
|Can you spot the solder bridges?|
The plan is to copy all the data on the hard drive before it dies some day. I have to say that 40MB drive has been rock solid. Almost seems indestructible. I also hope I can find a old floppy disk to load the flashing program to flash the BIOS.
Here is the completed board...
Above you can see the wires that I used to fix the lifted traces. I ended up not needing to connect them because I scraped the traces enough that the wire was able to connect the traces to the pins. Just in case, though, I left them taped to the back if I need to connect them to the IDE pins.
Once I get a keyboard or use an Arduino to convert a PS/2 cable, I will post the rest of the project including the conversion part if I go that route.